2009-05-09

Week 4 at Bochum-part 1

Life at Bochum:

Ya my fourth station of my Europe trip were Switzerland.(Don’t envious me oh)

But before I went there, I need to change Euro to Swiss francs. (As Switzerland was just join Europe group, but they still keep their own currency)




Switzerland was a landlocked alpine country of roughly 7.7 million people (2009) in Western Europe with an area of 41,285 km². (haha every time I will give you some introduction) I went to Lausanne, Berne, Lucerne and Zürich, these four big cites.



This was Switzerland’s flag. Do you find something different?

No it’s not the white color cross.

Let me tell you, only Switzerland’s flag was in square shape.



Welcome to Switzerland, This way please.


First city- Lausanne


I went to the famous Olympic Museum-Musée Olympique.





This wall displays all the sponsors for Olympic Museum. I saw some China Brand like Zhongguo Yinhang(China bank), Aigo(Dragon your faves) etc.




Did you see the Olympic Torch in my hand?



Outside the museum. (as you can see Switzerland was really beautiful)





The United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG) is the representative office of the United Nations in Geneva, with more than 1,600 staff.(K I had bring it oh)



It displays all the countries’ flags.


This broken chair was to commemorate people who die in Vietnam War at 1961 to 1975.This war caused a lot of people became handicapped, but they didn’t give up and continued their wonderful lifes. It was similar to this chair, it stands without a leg.



The garden behind the United Nations Office had a lot of things represented different types of cultures. This was a Japanese bell.



This was a museum in the garden, it displays all the chinaware from Asia countries like China, Japan etc.



OMG I was so thirst, let me drink some water.


Second city- Berne


Berne was the capital of Switzerland. Perhaps the most famous sight of the city was the Zytglogge, an elaborate medieval clock tower with moving puppets. It also has an impressive 15th century Gothic cathedral, the Münster, and a 15th century town hall.




K, I will do what I promised you.

There are over 100 public fountains in the city of Berne of which eleven are crowned with Renaissance allegorical statues. The fountains were originally built as a public water supply. As Berne grew in power, the original fountains were expanded and decorated but retained their original purpose.



This was just 1 of them.



The Münster of Berne is the Gothic cathedral in Berne. Construction started in 1421. Its tower, with a height of 100 m, was only completed in 1893. It is the tallest cathedral in Switzerland and is a Cultural Property of National Significance.





Pig and me at Berne’s street.


Overview of the whole city.




Third city-Lucerne


Lucerne is the most populous city in Central Switzerland and focal point of the region.

This was the famous landmark of Lucerne- Chapel Bridge.



The Chapel Bridge was a 204 m (670 ft) long bridge crossing the Reuss River in Lucerne.




The city area.





The Lion Monument was a sculpture in Lucerne. . It commemorates the Swiss Guards who were massacred in 1792 during the French Revolution, when revolutionaries stormed the Tuileries Palace in Paris. The American writer Mark Twain praised the sculpture of a mortally-wounded lion as "the most mournful and moving piece of stone in the world."


Fourth city- Zürich

Zürich was the largest city in Switzerland.


The Grossmünster was a Romanesque-style church that played an important role in the history of the Protestant Reformation.




UBS was a diversified global financial services company, with its main headquarters in Basel and Zürich. It was the world's largest manager of private wealth assets, and is also the second-largest bank in Europe. I hope I will have an account at this bank in my future.

PS: please look at the logo and not the guy, I know it looks like a blind person tried to cross the road.



Zürich Hauptbahnhof is the largest and busiest station in Switzerland and is an important railway hub in Europe



At Zürich’s street.



K, the pig was thirst.


Haha sorry about it, I forget what was it. Something likes a park.



This was call Street Art, the guy was drawing a picture for customer.



Ya I know the guy looks like a blind person.


Fifth Place-Rhine waterfalls:

The Rhine Falls were the largest plain waterfalls in Europe.







The last and most important place-Alps

The Alps was the name for one of the great mountain range systems of Europe, stretching from Austria and Slovenia in the east; through Italy, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany; to France in the west.







That was a wonderful Labour day holiday trip for me, after the three day’s trip I had experienced the natural beauty of Switzerland. Switzerland was a beautiful country and you will fall in love with it once you travel there. So my advice to was that you could miss the whole Europe , but you could not miss Switzerland. Switzerland was famous for its watch and Swiss Army knife. I had bought 1 Swiss knife for souvenir.




No comments: