2009-07-15

Week 14 at Bochum Part1

Life at Bochum:


Look at the calendar, it was my 14th week. Quick updates for this week.

The weather was become hotter, the average temperature was around 28 degree celsius.I was spending the whole weekend at a military base for car testing, therefore I did went any place.



Haha ya this was my first meal without any meat

This was after Armin’s long times instruct. Armin was a vegetarian so he was keep on told me that stop ate meat as this killed a lot of animals.


Study at Bochum:


I went a military base for the both solar cars testing, because it was an army military so I couldn’t take a lot of photos.


At military base

We started at Wedesday to pack all the tools and cars, then we reach the military base around 5 pm. They provided us a woking place which located besides the firemen’s department.

First we had quickly set up our tools and cars.



Unloading the solar car



Our new “workshop”

They brought a lot of tools and equipments to the place, and after everyting were settle up it was really like a new “workshop”.

As it was at military base we couldn’t went out at night, so we had cook our own dinner. Carola was our team chef as she cooked the nice dinner for us. Thanks Carola!



Our temporary “kitchen”



Dinner- pasta



Long queue for lunch, as we had to queue together with army.



Our breakfast

We had breakfast at a canteen, it looks like the breakfast I had in EE FOC.

Then I had to show you our sleeping place.



Tent

We had built our own tent at the place which just nearby our “workshop”. I had share the tent with good buddy- Armin.(I would like to thanks for Armin and Matthais as they lent me all the sleep items like sleep bad and mat). I remembered this was my second time I had slep in tent since I came Europe, maybe I and tents were decree by destiny.



Bathroom

Ya now everything was done, back to the project part.

At the first day, everyone were preparing for the car test, and I had helped Matthais prepare the new motor for car test. My job was very simple, I had to help make the connecter for the motor coil.



Matthais was removing the insulator from the coil wires

After the first day test, we had some problem with one of the motors. The motor’s axis was not the correct one as it only suited for Solar World No.1. Therefore we had to change the axis to make it suit for both cars.(as we needed the motors were suited for both cars so we can change them easily during the competition)



So Armin and I went to Mr Löbbe’s house to change the axis. It sounds a simple job, however we spended whole afternoon to finish it.(This shows everything was not so easy eventhough it was a small part). This was my second time went Mr Löbbe’s house, the previous time was 3 months ago which at week 2(OMG time was so fast).

Basically we had to dismantle the motor and take out all the parts to change the axis.



Dismantling



Inside the motor coil



Mr Löbbe and Armin was thinking


The main problem we faced was the hall sensors position, as we changing the axis we had to relocate the position. Therefore we token out all the connecter include the sensors, after we put in the new axis we had to used the new “glue” to glue everything back again. The special “glue” we used was made by Mr Löbbe-resins mixed with sands and some glass fiber pieces. Mr Löbbe told me that the reason we used the sands was to have a nice finish as the sands were very tiny to fill up all the gaps.



We were filled up the “glue”

After that we went back to militay base to complete our motor for next day car testing.



Warmed the ring to put in the coil



Adjust the coil



Put the aluminum cover with magnet



No comments: